Southerns Beekeeping Association

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Marcelle 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Marcelle
    Participant

Hi, I am new to beekeeping and am trying to find out how much honey a hive in the bushveld will produce per year. Our (experienced) instructor says 3 supers of 15 kg each, 3 times per year, which is 135 kg of honey per hive per year. I have not been able to find any source which says that more than 30 kg per hive per year is possible.

Lantz Mattinson
    Keymaster

Hello Marcelle

We have some new bees in the bushveld, they are next to some eucalyptus tress also. We have not put supers on yet but will be able to give you a better answer later in the year.

It is always interesting to see the honey yield and there are so many factors to consider.

Please keep us posted and we will do the same.

Thanks
    Lantz

Marcelle
    Participant

Thank you, Lantz. Please do keep in touch. I have had some feedback from a beekeeper in our area and it seems that we can expect at least 30 kg per hive every 3 months. We have aloes in winter so we can get a harvest in August as well. Time will tell but it is very exciting to see everything come together.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.