Southerns Beekeeping Association

Southerns Beekeeping Association Forums Bee Keepers What can I use to break down the colony's scent where I took the combs away?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Lantz Mattinson 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Lantz Mattinson
    Keymaster

I know that the following question has been asked before and answered, but I just need confirmation on it.
    If I remove a colony from, let’s say a roof (where I have access to the combs), I cut out the combs, place then in frames, etc, etc.
    What can I use to break down the colony’s scent where I took the combs away? I think some said a solution of Jays Fluid. But my question is, how long will the Jays Fluid be effective and/or is there anything else that is more effective?

Lantz Mattinson
    Keymaster

[7:26 AM, 11/10/2017] Cindy van Zyl: I asked these questions a few weeks ago. What to use included diesel & chlorine tablets. How long it will be effective is a tricky question, best is to do inspections everyone now and then I think.

Lantz Mattinson
    Keymaster

The only guaranteed way to prevent bees from coming back to an undesirable location is to physically prevent it.
    Close up the cavity, entrances, etc.
    Or open it up so it is exposed to the elements.
    All other means have only variable success.
    It goes a long way to remove all traces of wax and propolis as these are irresistable attractants to a trek swarm.
    Almost any harsh chemical smell will deter them. Things like Diesel, Chlorine, Jayes fluid and plenty others.
    The problem is that nothing provides a permanent smell and as such is only a temporary solution.

Lantz Mattinson
    Keymaster

Be aware that Chlorine is a chemical that reacts with other substances. Mixing Chlorine with Diesel, Petroleum based products or Break fluid, will result in a chemical reaction & possible a delayed fireball or explosion.
    Be safe spray Jays fluid or soak a sack in Jays & leave the sack where the bees were. (You must first remove all traces of wax & propolis etc.) Inspect after a week or so.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.