SBA Members – Important Info 2022
We had a really productive SBA Committee meeting last night in which our main topic of discussion was how and what we could be doing to give the best value to our Southerns’ members, so you can look forward to some exciting meetings and events in the near future.
Notice for the next Members meeting (Thursday 3 March) will go out shortly: in addition to the draw for the TanE hive, we will reintroduce the raffle and have some amazing (and different) prizes planned. Our main speaker will be Jeremy Hollman – San Rock Art Specialist who will be talking about the Drakensburg rock art depicting the San’s relationship with bees. This is a really interesting topic and we hope our members will enjoy the presentation. We have had a few members come forward willing to share more beekeeping hacks (they unfortunately couldn’t attend the last meeting), time allowing, and many more items on the agenda – action packed meeting!
We are in the throes of planning our next field trip, details of which will be announced at the next meeting.
We would like to encourage and remind everyone that your 2022 SBA subs are due on 1 January. We received 118 payments before the cut-off to be able to qualify for the draw of the TanE Hive (donated by Edd Scott). Members have until 28 February to renew their membership, after which they will have to pay a Visitors Fee if they attend the meeting in person. Invitations to the Zoom meeting will only be sent to paid-up members of SBA.
So 😁, why should you renew your membership?
- It is a nominal amount – R280 for single member or R380 for family membership. We haven’t increased the subs for the past 3 years, and these subs go towards paying for the venue, website hosting, Zoom, accounting fees, prizes, occasional speaker fees etc.
- As a member you may participate in the SBA WhatsApp Group where you can raise questions or share experiences – invaluable!
- Monthly Raffles – amazing prizes! The new blood on the Committee have brought new ideas for prizes 😁👍
- Field Days – we aim to have at least 1 field day per quarter – we intend to continue the tradition of offering a Spit Braai at the field days …. A draw card for even those who don’t want to visit the bees 🐝😂 (and don’t forget Ryan & Nadia’s pap-en-sous!) Lots of sharing / fun / laughter … and maybe a few stings 😂 hope not 😮
- Monthly meetings where a wide array of topics are discussed and ideas shared. Experienced beekeepers share their knowledge and know-how. We have asked which topics would be of interest to members, and will focus on items that haven’t been covered for some time. Eg April – Nurseryman (how to propagate bee forage); May – Doug Newman (Birds that predate on bees) … & in between all the actual beekeeping topics (winter maintenance etc). We will also invite a panel of Removal Experts to talk about Bee Removals – probably June meeting.
- Year End Function! Always a highlight & we try to do something different that will entertain the Members. Lots of fun & camaraderie ❤️😁.
- AGM – this in one real opportunity in which members can drive the agenda & make changes for the benefit of SBA. It is not intended as a tick the box exercise. This year, the accounts are already nearing finalisation (thanks to our accounting crew of Gavin & Chantal Crossley) , so we intend to hold the AGM earlier than in previous years. We are in a healthy position financially and we wish to get your input on how these funds can be used to benefit the beekeeping community.
- We are in the process of collecting information to update/renew/refresh the SBA website – this will include a platform that Members can sign into to get ‘Members only’ information.
Here is the crunch (and the rod 🙁)… we have resolved that any members who have not renewed their membership by 28 February will a) immediately be removed from the SBA WhatsApp group and b) will be removed from the Members mailing list – ie will not receive the invite for the Zoom link for the monthly meetings. We would hate for you to lose out, so please pay to renew your membership. A reminder – renewal means paying the subs AND submitting an updated Membership Application Form.
If you have any questions/queries, you are welcome to contact any of the Committee Members.